- Pak’s military ruler Yahya Khan declared polls in Dec 1970.
- Sheikh Mujibur Rehman won big time in East Pakistan. So, Yahya Khan ordered a crackdown on 25th March 1970. Indira Gandhi did nothing.
- On 25th May 1971, Atal Ji shook the Indira Gandhi government in parliament & asked the Govt to intervene to end genocide in west Pak, to recognize Bangladesh, to awaken the world about what’s happening in west Pakistan.
- On 2nd July 1971, Jana Sangh passed a resolution in Udaipur to mobilize public opinion on Pakistan’s barbarism, recognizing Swadhin B’desh, the release of Sheikh Mujibur Rehman & asked Govt for military action against Pakistan’s aggression on our borders. But Indira Gandhi did not act.
- In Dec 1971, when the situation was almost out of hand & Bharatiya Jana Sangh’s pressure was politically threatening for Indira Gandhi, she acted & moved the Indian army.
- Indian army won it for us & then Indira signed the Shimla agreement, where Pak walked away with 93,000 army men & 9,000 sq. km of territory.
3- On 25th May 1971, Atal Ji shook Indira Gandhi Govt in parliament & asked the Govt to intervene to end genocide in west Pak, to recognise B’desh, to awaken the world about what’s happening in west Pak— Shantanu Gupta (@shantanug_) March 28, 2021
Indira Gandhi still did not do anything (2/n) pic.twitter.com/z5cCWEGepL